Oh, New Year’s Eve.
There’s so much pressure to enjoy yourself. To be the right level of smashed. To look your best.
Which means you can’t recycle the same outfit you’ve been wearing on every night out for the whole of 2016.
If there was ever an excuse for buying a new dress or jumpsuit, NYE is it. Apart from anything else, nearly everywhere is having a mad sale right now so whatever you buy this week, you’re probably getting it for a bargain.
So, here’s our pick of the best outfits to make sure you stand out:
1. The sequined dress: Animal Print High Neck Dress, £30 (down from £50), Topshop
Every woman needs a dress like this in their wardrobes. So little effort yet such massive impact.
Few of us can get away with wearing this many sequins in every day life but NYE is definitely one time where more is more is more.
2. The 90s metallic shift: Metallic Strappy Dress, £25 (down from £39) Topshop
If Cher from Clueless was your idol, here’s her Calvin Klein white number upgraded.
3. The Fancy Playsuit: Premium Black Floral Sequin Playsuit, £25 (down from £50), Missguided
If you want to show quite a bit of flesh, then a long sleeved playsuit is probably a good option. That way, you’ve got your arms and back covered but you can still get your pins and cleavage out.
This particular Missguided offering is velvety AND sequined AND half price. Sold.
4. The No-Fuss-But-Sleek-AF Option: Crossover Polka Dot Dress, £29.99 (down from £49.99), Zara
You might not want to look overly girly but you’re not on that trouser hype for NYE either. No need to panic – this asymmetric dress is the personification of chic. And it’ll look perfect with flats. What a mercy.
5. The grown up dress: Amore Sparkle Embroidered Tulle Dress, £117 (down from £195), French Connection
Are you going to a dinner? Or some posh drinks? Or some sort of mad Made In Chelsea-type event showdown? If so, this is right up your street. Way too nice to be stuck in an overpriced NYE Oceana.
6. The glitzy dress: Fit & Flare Velvet Dress, £24 (down from £39.50), Marks & Spencer
Is this dress possibly the most Christmassy dress ever? It’ll make you into one big crushed velvet present. Which is exactly the look we’re after.
7. The futuristic skirt: Silver Leather Skirt, £145, & Other Stories
When something is this metallic, you don’t need to wear anything else fancy. Chuck on your plainest top and boots and you’re all done my friend. Perfect lazy gal apparel.
8. The disco top: ASOS Halter Neck Body With Sequin Embellishment, £24.50 (down from £35), ASOS
I’m pretty sure this kind of big 60s sequins were designed specifically for New Year frivolity.
As you shimmy along to R.E.M in the sticky floored club, the dodgy light bulbs will catch your spectacular top and you’ll be like a glimmering, effortless angel in a sea of drunks. Just what you want.
9. The Festive Trousers: Velvet Leggings, £9.99 (down from £15.99), Zara
Our love for leggings never dies because they’re so versatile. So warm. So chic. These particularly shiny offerings are so effortlessly party-esque, you could wear them out out or to Tesco. That’s the sort of clothing we like.
10. The anti-Christmas-bloating shift: Lame Tee Dress, £20 (down from £35), Warehouse
I’m not saying anyone should hide their Christmas food babies but if you’ve eaten as much cheesecake as I have in the past 24 hours, you might not be looking forward to wearing a body con dress.
This metallic offering, however, is perfect for continual feasting. And it’s shiny.
11. The Luxurious and Comfortable trouser Suit: Velvet Jumpsuit, £40, Monki
Because it’s December, it’s about 3’C outside. You might want to go out in bare legs and hot pants but unless you’ve got private transport and a hefty beer coat on, you’re going to die.
Chuck this velvety number on instead and you’ll be toasty AND fancy.